If you ask keralites what are the breakfast items from Kerala or if you check any Kerala restaurant breakfast menu, you can find like these pair of names “Puttu and kadala curry”, “Appam and Egg Roast”, “Idiyappam and egg Curry”, “Poori and Potato Curry”, “Dosa and Sambar”, “Idly and Chammanthi Curry”, “Porota and beef ”, “Vellayappam and tharavu (duck) Curry” etc..etc… Yeah! In Kerala breakfast has an important role and they used to prepare and enjoy it as the proper and tasty way.
Egg Roast is a tasty and spicy aromatic curry based in an onion tomato caramelized masala gravy. Normally keralites prefer this thick and mild spicy gravy with Appam, Idiyappam, Porotta, Chappathi or Puttu. Whatever it is, as a keralite my favorite combo with Egg roast is Spongy and frilled appams 😀 and that eating habits starts from my childhood and it will not change until now 🙂 here is the egg roast recipe, try and find out your favorite combo with egg roast too 😀 enjoy!
|Recipe Type||Kerala (India)/ Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 t0 40 Minutes|
|Serve to||8 to 10|
Ingredients For Kerala Style Egg Roast/ Egg Curry For Appam, Idiyappam, Puttu or Chappathi
|Hard Boiled Eggs||10 Numbers||Peel and make a slit in each eggs|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon||I used Coconut Oil|
|Fennel Seeds/Perum Jeerakm||½ Teaspoon|
|Ginger||2 Inch Root||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||5 to 6 Cloves||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Big Onion/Savola||7 to 8 (medium size)||Skinned and sliced Thinly|
|Curry Leaves||A Sprig|
|Tomato||3 Big||Chopped Finely|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam Masala /Irachi Masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Water||½ Cup or As per your taste|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Coriander Leaf||For Garnishing|
Method For Kerala Style Egg Roast/ Egg Curry For Appam, Idiyappam, Puttu or Chappathi
• Heat oil in a pan, pop mustard seeds and add fennel seeds.
• Add ginger, garlic, onion and curry leaves. Add salt and sauté until onion become light brown.
• Lower the flame, add spice powders. Sauté until its raw smell disappears.
• Add tomato, stir until soft.
• Add water, mix well. Cover and cook gravy for next 5 to 10 minutes or gravy looks thicken.Taste and add salt if needed.
• Add boiled eggs, cover it with the gravy.
• Turn off the heat, garnish egg roast with chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve with Appam, Idiyappam, Puttu, Chappathi, Bread etc. and enjoy 🙂